TRIPAWDS: Home to 10553 Members and 1245 Blogs.
HOME » NEWS » BLOGS » FORUMS » CHAT » FACEBOOK » TWITTER » RANDOM BLOG

Tripawds Supporter sites have no ads!

Rio's Battle with Osteosarcoma

Our day to day life with OSA

May 3rd 10 days post-op

Filed under: Uncategorized — nikkiweber at 6:45 pm on Saturday, May 3, 2014

Tripawds is a user-supported community. Thank you for your support!

Sun shine time!

Everything going pretty smooth the last few days! Slowly decreasing our pain meds (well we are about out) per our reg DVM, should be in contact with the U of M this coming week with our next step. Getting around okay. He spends a good amount of time laying down so I think he is more so stiff more than sore (even though he has gotten more massages than me EVER!) when he gets up. I am walking him around the yard more and he even bolted after a squirrel for about 3 strides before I gave him “the look”. Β He is definitely learning that if he doesn’t eat his normal kibble he gets yummier things, go figure, but still is eating so I am happy. I purchased that Natural Pet Select food, they keep in a cooler at the pet store and have been hiding his pills in that and it seems to be working for now. Only thing I have noticed is it seems like he is putting so much more weight on his upper half and I really wish he would start using those powerful hindquarters of his! But can’t ask too much from him, he will get it soon. Until he does I guess I am his personal masseuse. Can’t wait for his sutures to come out any day now!

Kisses!

Nikki and Rio

To remove ads from your site and others, upgrade to a Tripawds Supporter blog!

6 Comments »

benny55

May 4, 2014 @ 12:45 am   Reply

Rio is just EXQUISTE! So handsome!

Sounds like he’s doing great for just a little over a week out…especially for being such a big fella’!

Yeah, feed him any good stuff he’ll eat! I pretty mich ended up doing a lot of home cooked chicken, veggies, hamburger and steak for my Happy Hannah. I supplemented with Honest Kitchen and EVO dry, among others. Yeah, that Natural Pet Select is a great way to disguise his pills…like yousaid…so far!! Once he figures it out………!

I love how he rests his amp. site on the pillow. Very smart boy!

He’s coming along jist fine! AHe still needs plenty of rest…AND those wonderful massages! There are a lot of liks on jere about building core strength in his tummy mscles, etc. I kmow tjat Great Dane Atlas gets a lot of acupuncture. It seems that he tried PT but it was actualy causing more problems for him than helping so tey stopped fairly quickly

Take care and give Rio losts of smooches for us…..and a little scoop of ice cream!!

Hugs!

Sally and Happy Hannah

angel

May 4, 2014 @ 3:38 am   Reply

Sounds like everything is going great with Rio! He will get stronger over time and figure out the best ways to walk as a Tripawd. He will start to build muscles you didn’t know he even had lol and look like a body builder! He is a really handsome boy! I had a Dane that went through this same thing and she was amazing through it all. Rio will amaze you too! Best of luck to the both of you!! πŸ™‚

jerry

May 4, 2014 @ 4:42 pm   Reply

Nikki and Rio this is really a fabulous recovery, I’m so hoppy for you! Yes, the upper body can get especially sore on a front leg Tripawd, be sure to check out our posts about k9 massage:

Hope this helps. Here’s to just a few more days with stitches and then getting back to your new normal!

Nikki Weber

May 6, 2014 @ 5:33 am   Reply

Thanks so much guys! Yeah he impresses me day to day it is really great seeing him confident enough in himself to do the things he is. I am bringing him in to my reg DVM for suture removal and to have someone “see” how he is doing. Still waiting to hear from Oncology…. Seems like forever! But I know it takes time. Right now he is only on NSAID’s (Rimadyl) for pain management. It will be 12 days tomorrow and I want to make sure that is enough. Sometimes I feel he is in pain but other times I think he is just fine… It is a lot to adjust to and makes reading your dog so much more intensified after going through a surgery like this. You’d swear he would be talking to me at times. I have looked at the massaging videos and has been very helpful! Rio appreciates it too!

Kati

May 9, 2014 @ 2:46 am   Reply

Came across your blog on twitter and just want to tell you what a fantastic decision you made and what a great job you’re doing. The first two weeks are the hardest and your through them! My Dane went through this 10 months ago- it was so hard, as you now know first hand. It made me teary looking through your posts because it brought up so many memories. He is slowly going to get stronger and soon enough it will seem like he was always a tripawd.. The new normal πŸ™‚ he is lucky to have you as a mom!

And also, I put my girl on joint supplements to help take care of the remaining limbs.. I recommend it

nikkiweber

May 9, 2014 @ 9:46 pm   Reply

Thanks Kati! I’m glad owners can relate to this experience because it is hard and I don’t know if I would have had the strength to go through everything if I hadn’t came across this page and read everyone else’ blogs and success stories and everything else they were thinking. Rio is hanging in there for now, just wanting that swelling to go down, been icing his “lack of shoulder” the most I can and he doesn’t seem to mind it, he seems to be getting the hang of walking and stairs I just keep reminding him by tapping his right rear to step next lol (his right front was amputated) I think he knows I’m trying to help. All I want for now is a happy healthy summer for the both of us!

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI